Sunday, January 30, 2011

just a writer...

Digging around on the 'net, I found a link to a literary website where I was reading about French author Collette. I was struck by a particular quote of hers: "Sit down and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth, without pity, and destroy most of it."

I've always hoped that I could one day transition from writer to author, but I'm not so sure that being just a writer is necessarily a bad thing. I would like to think that some of my better writing has come from just opening up my heart and allowing my thoughts to flow. But I also derive great pleasure in editing, and already have one published book edit under my belt. (I hope that's not a commentary on me -- that I'm more a fan of my own verbosity than that of others. I really do edit myself; I have the cuts to prove it.)

There are certain writers who have such a distinctive style and voice that resonates with me, I enjoy their everyday ruminations as much as I do their structured pieces. (*ahem* -- you know who you are. *cough* cough* snuff*snuff*  I must stop mentioning you lest you think I have a crush :) Jen Lancaster is another of my favorite reads who writes in a conversational style about the everyday happenings in her life. In fact, her publishing deal was garnered after building a huge internet following while chronicling the trials and travails associated with job-hunting in the post-911 apocalyptic job market. Who knew going from a 6-figure income to standing in the unemployment line could be such a fun read? I guess it was the endearing snarkiness of it all -- I love me some well-written snarky.

So... I'll try to be a little more liberal with the knife when dissecting my own stuff. But if I remain just a writer, that's ok too.

Current Music: Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" - London Philharmonic

No comments: